kindness activist

kindness activist

Monday, October 4, 2021

WHIRLWIND

 What a magical world we live in.

 The last couple of days have been a whirlwind. 

 I spoke with a producer of the CBS news segment “On the Road” with Steve Hartman.  She had reached out right after the Kindness Yard Sale asking if I might be willing to talk with her about doing a piece about the sale.  I put off replying because I was exhausted, but finally sat down to talk with her and after that everything was like a single snowflake that rolled and rolled into an avalanche in the span of 2 days.  Not only did they want to DO a piece, they wanted to do it in 2 days!  And they wanted me to do a “big act of kindness that they could film”.

It was an awkward position to be put in…  I wanted to do the story – it would bring more attention to kindness and perhaps bring in support for Kindness Activist.  But most of the kind acts I do with the project happen ORGANICALLY.  They are not forced and usually not PLANNED.  But I brainstormed to come up with ideas…

After I rejected all of my own ideas, David came up with a brilliant one:  PUT QUARTERS IN THE LAUNDRY MACHINES AT THE LOCAL LAUNDROMAT!  I.  Loved.  It!!!  Of course, I embellished it…  Buy laundry detergent, maybe cupcakes, and show up at the laundromat and declare loudly it was FREE LAUNDRY DAY!!!  Then stay a couple of hours chatting, dancing around, and eating cupcakes with people while their clothes washed.

And then I thought of a back-up plan:  buy grocery store gift cards and floral bouquets.  Board buses as they stopped near our home and present the presents to bus drivers to THANK THEM for being so magnificent and driving all through Covid.

I was really pleased with both ideas.

But the producer of the show was not…

So, I worked to think of yet ANOTHER idea….  I saw a blurb on Facebook for a local high school asking for donations of homecoming dresses.  Hmmm…  Wheels turning…  What if I could take a student SHOPPING for a homecoming outfit!!??  Wouldn’t that be fun?  I mean, I am ALL FOR used clothing (go Goodwill!!!), but everybody deserves a new outfit once in a while, too.

After much angst and worry, I was finally hooked up with the name of a student whose parent was willing to let them be picked up from school by a stranger and filmed for national tv… 

In fact, I almost had TWO students!  I was working super hard to get SOMETHING they could film, and just about got a student from two different sources.  In the end, one backed out due to shyness (and their parent not being thrilled about them missing some school).

This all sounds like a whirlwind, right????

But that is only the whirl, not the wind.

While this was all happening, I was sicker than I have been in a couple of years.  The world was spinnnning and I had shivers and was afraid I had, you know, Covid.  (Not to worry, 2 tests came back negative!)

I got a flat tire and had to leave my car in the Trader Joe’s parking lot overnight.

And a refugee family from Afghanistan moved into our basement apartment and will live with us for a month.

Eeerrrrr – rewind.

What?

Yes, you read that right.  We have 5 new people living in our home.

And I couldn’t be happier.

I am so honored to host these guests.  It is a mother, father, adult son, adult daughter, and young daughter from Kabul.  They got out recently and we were lucky to end up being their hosts.  I am so grateful for this opportunity.

So back to the tv filming.  The producer, host, and a cameraman arrived at our house early this morning.  I had warned our new guests that this was going to take place – the father joked that he might be in the background on American television.  😊 

But at the same time as I was prepping for the interview (how much did year one of the Kindness Yard Sale bring in??  What kind acts have we done???) – we were trying to help our new friends enroll their beautiful 8- year-old daughter in school and make sure they have the supplies they need.  To say the candle was burning at both ends is putting it mildly. 

During a quick break in “hand modeling” filming, I peeked in our backyard and saw the most beautiful sight I have seen in a very, very long time.  David, Steve (the star of the show), and the father of the Afghan family were sitting outside playing a card game.  A card game that the man from Afghanistan was teaching the 2 American men.  It was the most genuine cultural exchange that I have witnessed in oh so long.  What an HONOR, what a GIFT.  To share a game from your homeland is to share a treasure.  I quickly snuck this photo and realized that if nothing else came of the day, THIS MOMENT was enough to have witnessed.


 After a full morning of filming and answering questions at our home, it was time to PICK UP THE STUDENT I HAD NEVER MET at her high school.  I was a bit nervous, but also excited!  I wasn’t so much excited about the filming of it all, but the chance to meet a new person and take her shopping!!  It was funny – we had a Go-Pro camera attached to the passenger side window of the car as we drove to the mall, and before we had driven one block, I messed it up by raising the window.  Oops!

I won’t spoil the news about the filming and the show here.  But I will say that I feel like the student and I made a genuine connection, and that I hope she keeps in touch with me.  I had such a fabulous time talking with her, giggling, and shopping.  Once the tv crew left we set about really shopping!!  She was the perfect person to treat to a Homecoming outfit (and more).  She was humble, kind, grateful, and wise.  I would love to hang out with her again (and look forward to seeing her looking gorgeous in her homecoming photos!).

So yeah, what a strange magical world we live in. 

Aren’t we all so very lucky?

Kindness Yard Sale funds spent:

Many toiletries, supplies, beds, and bedding for family that just moved to America – $356.81

Dress, shoes, bra, necklace, purse, necklace, earrings, nails, and nail polish for Homecoming outfit – $165.63

Toy and card for new nephew in Guatemala that my new friend I took shopping has not met yet – $34.96

Gift certificate and card for very hardworking mom of new friend I took shopping – $30.96

Gift certificate for girl who couldn’t go on the televised shopping adventure today – $100

Honor of being involved in a day like today - PRICELESS

P.S. – please tune in to CBS Evening News to see the story about the Kindness Yard Sale.  It will air this Friday, October 8th at 6:30 PM Eastern. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan

    I saw the segment on CBS Evening News.  Happy to meet another Kindness Activist.  I Honor and Bless your excellent work.

    I started at age 7 when I convinced my family to give our Christmas (budget) to a poor family's children.  We did it every Christmas and it's been a family tradition. My son, who is 43 and lives in Arlington, has given away his Christmas since age 5.

    As a Kindness Activist myself, I have solicited donations from the Houston community to help fund (often with in-kind goods).  TJ's (my fav) is always generous as are all the major chain grocery stores.  Other "Top Good Guy" partners have been Costco, Walmart, and Target.  These require that you submit a proposal and a 501c3 nonprofit for an annual contribution.  Success begets success with their contributions to your charity increasing year to year.

    You mentioned you needed year-round storage space. I am sure many folks would be glad to donate it to you, especially now. You can leverage your publicity on CBS, the WaPo article, and the WTOP story to get more companies and corporations onboard. 

    Many partners will request a 501c3 nonprofit status.  Eventually, you can put your best partners on a small (less than 10) board of directors. Make sure it does not become too cumbersome and administrative which blunts some of the joy in giving. I have an umbrella organization (Good and Faithful Servants) with a 501c3 and designate subsidiary groups for specific causes.  You build a group of like-minded Kindness Activists who become your best friends.  I went to the 75th birthday party for one of my GFS friends last Saturday.  You can delegate to this cadre to avoid burning yourself out.  

    In the specific charities I organize (e.g. Gulf Coast Hurricane Relief) we create one big publicity event for all partner contributions with the Houston Chronicle newspaper and all 19 Houston TV outlets (including English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Hindi).  Newspapers (especially the community fliers) and TV are always on the lookout for a "Good News" story.

    My second career after 20 years in Oil and Gas, is being a Family Therapist since 1997.  I reach out to numerous underserved populations, one of which is the Deaf Community.  I have been blessed to work with gifted Nightingale interpreters during mandated Children's Protective Services therapy regarding parental sexual abuse.  I have learned so much about the Deaf Community from my debriefings with Nightingale interpreters. 

    I am a creator, co-collaborator, and consultant with many good folks and emerging organizations here in Houston.  Please let me know if there is any way I can help you expand your KINDNESS by calling my mobile 832.721.8537 or view my profile at linkedin.com/in/graysonmiller 

    I semi-retired at 71, just before COVID so I am looking for ways to invest my GFS talents (at the direction of the Holy Spirit).

    Your fellow Kindness Activist

    Grayson   <


    /s  Grayson Miller MA MBA LPC   <  
        Owner and a Licensed Professional Counselor     
    West Houston Family Therapy     
    7700 San Felipe Street, Suite 350     
    Houston, Texas 77063-1630

        832.721.8537 Business Mobile

        mgraysonmiller@gmail.com

        Professional Credentials, Skills, and Endorsements

         linkedin.com/in/graysonmiller  

    ReplyDelete