kindness activist

kindness activist

Monday, September 30, 2024

It's Happened!

Oh.  My.  Goodness.

 

It’s happened.

 

Such a mix of feelings – elated, scared, relieved, excited… 

 

The IRS responded – KINDNESS ACTIVIST IS AN OFFICIAL 501C3!!

 


I have been doing Kindness Activist work since December 2015, close to a decade.  It started small – writing stories of kindness that I witnessed, did, or received.  As I often explain when I speak to groups about kindness – I was in a sad place in my life.  I looked for kindness as an experiment really.  I wondered if there was actually kindness out there, and if there was, did it make a difference in the world?

 

That social experiment has made a huge difference in my life.  It has given me a new lens through which to view the world.  It has made my life more fulfilled, happier, more full of joy.  It has introduced me to people I would never have met had I not gone on this mission.

 

And now it is “official”.

 


I’ve been wanting to make Kindness Activist a 501C3 for years but have put it off.  It seemed so daunting and scary.  But many people have nudged me and pushed, and I knew it was the right thing to do.  It just required taking a big leap to go for it.

 

There are so many people to thank.  The people who kept at me – reminding me it was not only necessary but it was possible.  The amazing lawyers who assisted me pro-bono to get the corporation established (required before filing for non-profit).  The people who accepted offers to join the board.  The people who cheered and hugged along the way.  The people who show up to volunteer to unload trucks and wrap gifts and decorate trees and tie ribbons to our fence...

 

And the most amazing, supportive partner on the planet, David Gaines. 

 


When I started writing stories of kindness, I had no idea how much our lives would change.  I didn’t know our basement would turn into a de facto grocery store to supply the Little Yellow Free Pantry.  I didn’t know that traveling in November and December would become almost impossible due to the Santa Project.  I didn’t fathom that our basement apartment would be filled with coats and sweaters to hand out all winter in Project Warmth.  I could never have imagined that strangers would knock on our front door or honk and wave as they drove by.  I never pictured a neon green Just Be Kind sign on the Big Yellow House.

 

But David, you have stood by my side through all of it (and more).  You have held me when I cried, rubbed my back when I was exhausted, and laughed with me in the rain.  You put in soooo many hours on that dang IRS form 1023.  My dream of kindness has changed both of our lives, and I thank you for riding the wave with me and being the very best “husband for scale” this human could ever have asked for.

 

The official letter came today.  We only filed 13 days ago, and the instructions say it can take up to 180 days to get a response.  I was hoping to hear quickly but never imaged it would be in under 2 weeks.

 

Have not had time to process it all yet, so I am unsure of how/what changes now.  I promise to keep you updated and to keep the kindness rolling.  I promise to keep sharing the stories of kindness. 

 

But for now I need to take a breath.  Pause a moment.  Take it all in.  Drink a bit of bubbly. 

 

And shed a few more tears of happiness. 

 

Cuz it happened, it really happened!


Jumping Blooper


9 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! 🌅💃🏼🤸‍♀️🎆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news and what a huge milestone for the Lind was Project! Congrats Susan, we celebrate you and your efforts today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo!!!! Let me know how I can help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It happened because you keep records of all donations and can prove where things go - so this is a huge good on you, pro bono lawyers friends and always ‘husband for scale’ David - you are a gem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You are such a light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'M SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU! POP THE BUBBLY...Like I said, I think when you and David pass to the great beyond, if there is a GOD, they will say "well done my child....well done!" to BOTH of you! TIME TO CELEBRATE BIG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your real story's, and all the pics! Big Congratulations on this one! So good when your heart is happy, content and warmed isn´t it? Way to go Susan & David Gains! :)

    ReplyDelete