kindness activist

kindness activist

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Shhh - Secret Kindness

It is always fun and rewarding to spread kindness, but I was recently asked to help share some SECRET KINDNESS!  That was a first (that I can remember…).

A neighbor contacted me and said that she really wanted to do an act of kindness, but wanted to remain anonymous.  Well, if you know the concept of Kindness Activist, you will know that “being anonymous” isn’t in the (unwritten…) principles!  My philosophy is that you should not hide your “kindness light” under a bushel!  You should LET THAT LIGHT SHINE BRIGHT!  Because your “kindness light” might be seen by others, who then spread that light of kindness even further.

But the person who contacted me had a valid point…  What she wanted to do was give a special gift to a husband and wife that work at one of their favorite restaurants.  The servers were going through a rough patch, and the diners wanted to secretly help them out a bit.  But the neighbor was afraid that if the servers knew who the gift was from, it would be awkward, and they would not be comfortable accepting anything. 

The neighbor asked me if I would consider helping with Kindness Activist funds, and of course I said yes.  As we texted, we decided that Kindness Activist would purchase a gift card, and the diners would purchase another one.  That way the hard-working couple would get DOUBLE KINDNESS!

Only, then another family wanted to support the couple too, so it turned into THREE GIFT CARDS!  When funds from the 3 sources were put together, there was $525!!  That money was split between gift cards for Target and 2 local grocery stores. 

One evening I stopped by the restaurant and asked for the servers.  One of them was working, and they brought her to me.  I explained that I run a project called Kindness Activist, and someone had asked me to surprise her with a gift.  Then I handed her an envelope with the 3 gift cards inside and a Penzy’s Spice KIND button.  She looked a bit confused but had a big smile on her face. 

Shhh - before the delivery of surprise kindness
And then, just like that, I turned and left! 

I bet she was super happy when she opened that envelope.  I wonder if she waited until the end of her shift and took it home to open??   I wonder if she is wearing the KIND pin to work now?

I will never know the answers to those questions.  But it was sure fun being a secret KINDNESS SPREADER!

 

Kindness funds used:  $125

No comments:

Post a Comment