kindness activist

kindness activist

Friday, February 25, 2022

Junior Kindness Activist - ROSIE

One of the things I love about my Kindness Activist work is the opportunity to engage with CHILDREN.  I really like hanging out with kids!  They are funny, energetic, and inspiring.  As Kindness Activist, I’ve spoken to a small troop of Girl Scouts, had neighbor kids over to volunteers, and am going to go work with a group of elementary school kids in an afterschool program next week.  It’s so fun!

Like most things that can positively change the world, starting with kids is the answer.  Understand that climate change is real and destroying the planet?  CALL IN GRETA THUNBERG and her young cohorts!  Want a country where racism doesn’t mean an unequal playing field for people of color every day of their lives?  TEACH THE BABIES TO BE ANTI RACIST!  And want a society where kindness is the norm and permeates everything people do?  START WITH THE CHILDREN.

That philosophy is why I began engaging JUNIOR KINDNESS ACTIVISTS.  Kids get it – they know kindness.  They have seen people be KIND, and they have seen the opposite.  So, I thought, what would THEY do to change the world and make it more kind, if they had the financial resources? 

Meet my friend Rosie, almost 12, and the newest Junior Kindness Activist!  Rosie has been very helpful with Kindness Activist before.  In fact, this winter she and another neighbor put up and decorated the Community Tree of Celebration on our front porch, and it was beautiful!  This time I challenged Rosie by giving her $75 of Kindness Activist money and asking HER to spend it, then write a story to show where it went.  (And her parents chipped in another $25, giving her $100 to use to spread kindness!)


Here, in Rosie’s own words, is how she decided to add more kindness to the world.

“I was chosen by Susan to spend some kindness money to better our community.  The money that was spent was from the Kindness Yard Sale.  That took place last summer.  One of the two things I decided to spend the money on was a local organization called Doorways.  Doorways provides shelter and help to the homeless, domestic abuse survivors, and those who are struggling and need somewhere safe to stay.  I chose this organization because having a safe place to stay is so important to live a happy life and I just love what they are doing for people.

The second thing I spent the Kindness money on was that I bought food like applesauce and granola bars to fill Campbell Elementary School’s food pantry.  I decided to spend the Kindness money on this because every time I had seen that pantry it seemed very empty and I wanted it to be really used.”

Rosie and her friend with groceries for the food pantry at a local school
I love how intentional Rosie was with her funds.  She chose how to use them carefully, and I think she found very impactful ways to spread kindness!!  Way to go Rosie!

Do YOU know a kid who would like to be a part of this kindness revolution?  I am looking for the next Junior Kindness Activist…  The requirements are they must be kind, must be willing to write a story of how they used the money, and to share a photo or two so others can “meet” them.  If you think you know a good candidate, message Kindness Activist on Facebook and introduce me!

Kindness Activist money used:  $75


No comments:

Post a Comment