kindness activist

kindness activist

Friday, August 12, 2022

Another KINDNESS RIPPLE (Plus More Stories of Kindness)!

I had another reminder recently of how KINDNESS RIPPLES are real, and they work!  I checked my email and found an amazing note.  And I was reminded that being open and freely talking about kindness does indeed inspire more kindness to be spread.

 Here is the email:

 
“I read your blog periodically, which I love. I found it in an article, I’m not sure where now, possibly the Good News website. Anyway, I’ve been a believer in random acts of kindness for quite some time now. I happened to read your most recent post on July 25 & found it very enlightening. 

I’ve mostly done my acts of kindness quietly without sharing with anyone. I didn’t want to be ‘boastful’, so to speak. But after reading your blog about kindness ripples, I now think differently. If, by sharing our acts of kindness, we can inspire others to also go forth with acts of kindness, then it’s well worth sharing to others. 

We have a free community food shelf not far from us. We also have a local food bank, but I realize, especially now, that people might not qualify for the food bank for varying reasons, or the food bank food doesn’t go far enough. I like to stock up on canned & packaged sale items for the shelf when I do my grocery shopping. My husband & I are retired but we are fortunate enough to have more than enough to share. 

It always gives me such pleasure to put items on the shelf. I place them nicely, so people can see them as they drive by. When I can fill up much of the shelves, it is a real thrill. Lately, when I go, the shelf is completely empty :( So many people are hurting financially & food has become so expensive. I tend to buy things children like, since I’m a retired K/1 teacher. But I also love putting tins of coffee, etc. as a ’treat’ as well. We live in a rural area, so people will leave fresh produce from their gardens & even eggs from their chickens. 

It used to be just an open, rickety shelf that was affected by the weather. Someone around the corner from shelf built a beautiful, larger shelf, with a clear, latching door that stays dry! What an improvement.

So, that is my kindness story. I mostly wanted to thank you for the inspiration to share our acts of kindness with others so that kindness can spread. 

Thank you for all you do in making the world a better place.

Mary, White Salmon, WA”

IT WORKED!  THE KINDNESS RIPPLE SPREAD!  I was giddy when I read the email.  Inside, I know that sharing stories of kindness creates more kindness in the world.  But when someone takes time out of their busy lives to sit down and tell me about it, well, that gives me goosebumps!

Since we are all here and reading, let’s share a couple of stories of where Kindness Activist money has been used lately! 

First off, it is BACK TO SCHOOL time in America.  Sadly, for many teachers, that means spending money out of their own pockets to buy supplies for their classrooms.  Teachers are already overworked and underpaid, and the thought of them having to stock their classrooms, too, frustrates me.  So, when a couple of local teachers posted that they were looking for classroom items, I knew Kindness Activist funds were perfect to help meet the requests.

Amazon really makes shopping for things like classrooms so easy!  I just took a peek at the teachers’ Amazon Wish Lists, chose some items, and shipped them directly to the educators.  Easy peasy! 

Classroom items were sent to a few teachers and included items like:  glue gun and glue sticks, bean bag chair, markers, magnets, wall paper, highlighters, a bunch of great books, and pop-its!  One teacher sent a lovely thank you and this photo of her adorable classroom (Kindness Activist funds were used to purchase the teal beanbag, doesn’t it look like a cozy place to read???)

 


I hope to treat one more teacher with some needed supplies for their classroom.  If you have a wish list for your room, please comment with the grade you teach and the wish list link!

Kindness Activist funds used on 2022 classroom supplies (so far!):  $315.32


My partner David and I recently discovered a lovely coffee shop called Sweet Marlays in Daytona Beach, Florida.  The décor is warm and inviting, the coffee and food is delicious.  But even more important than those important factors was the diversity and welcomeness of the shop.  As soon as we walked in, I could feel that the space was INCLUSIVE. 



We saw a man seated in a comfy chair talking.  I thought he was talking to someone, but it turned out he was chatting to no one in particular.  He talked about what time the baseball game was going to be that evening and who was playing.  He talked about the news.  He laughed a lovely laugh, which he broke into often.  And he did all of this at a rather loud level, and all to the general space. 

As we ordered at the counter, I asked the barista who the man chatting was and if he came to the coffee shop often.  She smiled a very big smile, told us his name, and said, "Oh yes!  He is here every day.  Sometimes he leaves to go on walks, but he leaves his things here.  Those two people at that table are with him.  They stay all day.  And since tonight is Thursday, at 5:00 pm they will go next door for burger night!”. 

Her explanation of the customers was full of joy.  She was not judging them, they were her friends and a constant in her life.  And, as David and I drank our coffee, it became clear that the 3 daily visitors were friends of everyone who came in and out of the shop.  Everyone was happy to greet them, and some sat down next to them to chat.

I asked the barista if the guests were housed or not, and she explained that all 3 of them live in the same house.  I asked if the coffee shop gave them free coffee and food, and she explained that they have a “bottomless cup” policy, which is used by these three guests 😊, and that sometimes other diners pick up their tabs. 

As David and I sat, drinking, eating, and playing UNO, I listened to the chatter of the three.  It was so sweet.  Tom, with his distinctive laugh, seemingly randomly coming up with topics to talk about to no one in particular.  The woman, seated at another table, proclaiming that she needed a can of TUNA as she had decided to make Tuna Helper when she got home.  She was concerned about her lack of tuna though, after all (she explained to her housemate seated across from her), she had only ONE CAN and the recipe on the box called for TWO.  She fretted about the situation a while and came up with a plan – call another friend and check if he was going to Dollar Tree.  If he was, perhaps he could pick her up a can!  

That idea worked, but instead of putting her mind at ease, she continued chatting about the Tuna Helper dilemma.  A woman who came in for coffee sat down next to her, heard the tale, and supportively explained, “You know, you can make it with one can!  It will work!  You don’t have to have two cans!  That’s just a suggestion!”. 

Tuna Helper situation solved, the woman moved onto explaining to her housemate last night’s dinner – brown rice - and how to cook it.  She gave the recipe over and over and over, but instead of being annoying, the repetition felt comforting, perhaps like rice itself comforts. 

I couldn’t help but think I would love to spend more time with these people and be their friend.  They seemed like very kind, genuine people.  I decided that using Kindness Activist funds to support their coffee and food at the shop would be money well spent, so I bought a gift certificate for them.  Basically, I opened up a coffee tab 😊 .  The baristas will write on the back of the paper certificate how much is used and keep a running total.

I hope we get to visit that coffee shop again.  I would love to sit down and have a chat.

Kindness Activist funds used:  $100

 

If you have never been to our home, well, at times it is a bit of an overwhelming mess…

Some nice friends have said, “Susan, your house is not a MESS!  Your house is full of KINDNESS just waiting to happen!!”. 

But the donations from sweet neighbors can pile up sometimes, and our front porch can take on the look of a thrift shop.  That’s why it is never very surprising when people see me outside on our porch and assume a yard sale is taking place. 

This was the rush of donations before the 
2021 sale!  See, a LOT!
But no – the Kindness Yard Sale is once a year, so I always explain to confused would-be-shoppers that the sale is not NOW, I am just getting things organized for the upcoming sale.  I wish I knew how to explain that in multiple languages – that would come in handy!

One afternoon I explained the situation to one woman who came up hoping to shop.  She was disappointed and turned to go.  But then she came back and explained as best she could in English that she needed $2 for the bus.

I couldn’t let her shop through the piles of donations, but I could get her bus fare!  As I handed it to her, she told me thank you (both with words and with her big smile).

I hope to see her back September 17th and 18th for the 2022 Kindness Yard Sale!

Kindness Activist funds used:  $2


Last story for this report. 

Imagine making a fresh start.  Like, completely starting over.  Think of all of the things you would need – pillow, towels, silverware, shoes, soap…  And, you may want a bra.

If you don’t wear bras, you might not know that they are quite hard to fit, especially for large-busted people.  The bra must be supportive, comfortable, pretty, not hot…  It’s hard to find one bra that meets all of the qualifications!  And when you find one, it is usually expensive…  But, if you are starting over from scratch, a good bra is a necessity.

That is why, when I heard about the need for a bra for a woman getting a fresh start at life, I jumped to purchase two (for those not in the know, one bra is not enough – when it gets dirty and needs to be washed you have to have a back-up).

I had the bras delivered directly to where they were needed.  I hope that they fit.  I hope that they made the recipient smile.  I hope that having new bras eliminated one worry.

May we all be granted fresh starts when we need them.

Kindness Activist funds used:  $58.24

More stories about kindness soon. 

For now, go out there and keep those Kindness Ripples spreading!!  And when you DO, please tell me about it!  Send stories of kindness you do, see, or receive to:  KindnessActivist@Gmail.com .

And if you are a teacher in need of supplies, please share your Amazon wish list.  I would like to help one more classroom, and perhaps other readers will pitch in, too!

If you would like to help keep the Little Yellow Free Pantry filled, you can find current needs the following link.  The most needed items as of mid-August 2022 are:  peanut butter, canned fruit, jelly, single servings of snacks like chips, and cans of soup.  The items needed are included, but the brands are not specific, any brand works!  at:  https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/378MMHXOYF3LP?ref_=wl_share

And remember, the 2022 Kindness Yard Sale is coming up September 17 and 18!  Hope to see you there!  More information coming soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment