kindness activist

kindness activist

Saturday, April 27, 2024

Flowers of Kindness

Whenever I give talks about Kindness Activist, people ask how it all started.


Well, it started as a bit of an experiment.  I was at a low point in my life, and decided to purposefully look for kindness.  I guess I wanted to make sure it still existed in the world, I don’t know.


I looked.  I saw it.  It made me happy.  I was hooked.


Fast forward years later. 


I still look for it.  And I still have periods where I am too sad, too busy, too inattentive to find it.


But now I know.  I know that if I stop.  Take a deep breath.  Open not only my eyes, but my heart, I will see it.  Because it is everywhere.  This I believe.


And I also now know the value of SPREADING the kindness.  And I am continually grateful that Kindness Activist allows me the joy of doing just that.


So here is a quick story of one of today’s kindnesses.  I was in Trader Joe’s, ironically ordering some things for another act of kindness that is happening next week.  I was standing at the customer service counter placing my order when two women rushed up, obviously very upset.


“A woman just stole my wallet right out of my purse!!  Do you have video cameras in your aisles???” they asked loudly and angrily.


The Trader Joe’s employee assured them that there were cameras, but they would need to file a police report and have a case number to access the footage.  The women, shaken, left the store.


I finished my order.  Bought a few things.  Shopped in the store next door.  But I kept thinking about the woman whose wallet was stolen.  What a horrible thing to have happen.


I took another stroll around the aisles of Trader Joe’s to see if the women were still there but I didn’t see them.  I headed to my car just as a police cruiser pulled up.  “Ah ha,” I thought, “Maybe the women are still here and have been waiting on the cops so they can file a report.”


Sure enough that was the case.  The officers started filling out the paperwork as the women stood by their car.


So, I went back into the grocery store and picked out the brightest, prettiest bouquet I could find.  I purchased it, then went outside to where the officer was finishing up the report. 

 


“Excuse me,” I said as I approached.  “I was at customer service and heard what happened to you.  I am really sorry – how awful.  I wanted to get you these to brighten your day.  I hope the rest of your weekend is better,” and I handed her the flowers.


Her whole demeanor changed.  The tension in her face melted.  She looked me in the eyes and thanked me.  “May I hug you??” she asked.  Of course!


So, two women stood in the parking lot of a grocery store and hugged, as a police officer in a bulletproof vest looked on.


“Thank you.  Oh, thank you,” she said.  “It could have been so much worse.  At least no one was hurt”. 

 

And just like that, she was reminded that even when things are really bleak, there is kindness. 


And it was nothing fancy, nothing expensive.  More than the flowers, it was the fact that someone noticed and cared.


Kindness is all around you, I promise.  So are opportunities for YOU to be kind. 


You just have to keep your eyes (and your heart) open to see them.


Kindness Activist funds spent:  $10.59

1 comment: