kindness activist

kindness activist

Monday, July 1, 2024

Just Be Kind

One thing about having a neon green sign on your front porch that reads “Just Be Kind” is that it marks your home as a safe space.  And that was never any more apparent than this evening.


I was sitting at the dining room table writing when the front door opened.  I assumed it was my partner David, but when I looked up it was a strange man entering our home.  He did not appear threatening, so I did not panic, but walked over to greet him.


He was obviously very upset.  “I need help,” he said.  “I locked my keys in my apartment”.


I jumped in, quickly trying to brainstorm how we could solve that big but not MAJOR problem.  “Oh, your keys?  That’s ok!  We will help get them out,” I naively told him.


But the keys weren’t the problem.


“No.  It is my daughter.  She was in a car accident.  They called me.  It was near Maryland.”


Ahhh – this was getting more complex and I was not understanding how we could really HELP in this situation.


“I locked my apartment key inside.  I need to drive to Maryland.  She is in the hospital.  But I do not have enough gas…” he sheepishly told me.  “My car is over there…” he gestured, trying to say, “I am not a scammer, this is real!” without having to say it.


Well, THIS was now a tangible problem with a solution I could sponsor – gas money from the Kindness Activist funds.  “It is ok!” I told him.  “We have money for your gas.”  I told him to go to his car and wait while I went to get the funds.


David had joined us by that point, so he and David chatted while I got some things together.  Cold blue Gatorade to drink on his ride – check.  Freshly baked snickerdoodle cookies thanks to an amazing donor – check.  And $50 for gas.


I gave him the snacks, then held out the money.  He was dumbfounded.  He just stared at it.


“No, too much…” he said.


“Sir, this is for you.  For gas.  If you don’t need it today, put in more gas tomorrow.”


And David reminded him that gas is expensive, so he should take it all.  He asked if he could leave his license with us (as “insurance” I guess, though the money was a gift and not a loan).  Of course we declined. 


He was visibly shaken and very thankful.  I asked if I could give him a hug, and he was happy to accept.  And while I hugged him, he began to cry.  Real tears.  He was a strong man, but the fear, the sadness, and the gratitude proved to too much and tears flowed. 


“I come because I know you help.  I know you help people.”


We got him some tissues, and I rubbed his back.  I was worried he might be too upset to drive and kept encouraging him to drive safely.  That’s when he told us, “The reason I cry…  You give me a hug.  And today is my BIRTHDAY.”


His birthday.


His daughter in an accident.

His keys locked inside.

His gas tank on empty.

Having to ask strangers to help.


His birthday.


I hugged him again and we told him happy birthday. 


I hope he drives safely.  I hope his daughter is ok.  I hope his birthday gets better.


And I am glad that he knew our home was a safe place to find help.




Kindness Activist funds spent:  $50

No comments:

Post a Comment