kindness activist

kindness activist

Friday, January 13, 2017

Coffee Kindness

Today's Kindness Activist won't be shown in photos in this piece, because I just happened upon her and didn't get any photos.  Rats.  But she deserves a shout out here, so that she will get!!

I am on a mission to use my Starbucks "January Tumbler" as best as I can!!  It was a gift from my nephew and nephew-in-law and I love it.  It is a special Starbucks cup that you can bring into any Starbucks location and get a free tea or coffee every day in January!!  Isn't that the coolest??  I love it and have made it my goal to get a refill every single day in January at a different Starbucks (well, except January 1, I got the cup that evening so didn't get to use it that day...).  Today is January 13th and I have filled the cup 12 times in 6 different states!!  I am taking a photo of every fill (you are not surprised, are you?).  In the pictures I am using sign language to show what number fill I am on.  Here is today - fill 12!

January Tumbler fill #12!
I am in Omaha right now to celebrate my nephew Jordan's wedding (he and his fiancé are the ones who gave me the cup).  Things are hectic - tonight is the wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner and the wedding is tomorrow.  But that doesn't mean I am going to miss a Starbucks fill!  So this evening we rushed to the nearest Starbucks, which happened to be at 17396 West Center Road in Omaha.  I rushed in and got in line.  The two gentlemen ahead of me were ordering a small coffee.  There was a bit of a language barrier with the person placing the order, I am not sure what his native language was but it was not English.  The other man with him seemed to be mentally disabled and stood by patiently waiting.  When the barista, Messy, gave them the total ($2.14 I think), the man took out a small Ziploc baggy filled with change, mostly pennies.  He started to put coins on the counter and slowly count out enough money for his purchase.

Messy smiled at him and told him, "It is ok".  He did not understand this kind sentiment, that she was trying to politely tell him he did not need to pay.  So he continued to count change, slowly.  Messy smiled again and said, "No, no, it is alright.  There is no need".  He still did not understand, so she told him, "I will get this for you.  It is only one coffee.  It is fine".  Her smile was so genuine, so KIND, not at all judgmental or demeaning. He understood, thanked her, and went to sit at a table, drink the coffee with his friend, and count his coins.

This type of kindness - pure, genuine, and respectful - is so needed in our world.  People like Messy make the world a much better place, and not just for the men who felt welcome in that establishment, but for people like me who get to witness the kindness. 

Keep your eyes open friends.  The world feels quite dark and scary these days but kindness is still all around.  It might take a while to see it, but trust me, it is there.  And when you see it your heart feels lighter and your day gets better.

To coffee.  To KINDNESS.  And to love. 

LOVE is LOVE
 

No comments:

Post a Comment