kindness activist

kindness activist

Friday, September 18, 2020

The Kindness Continues - Yard Sale 2020

It’s time for another update on how funds raised at the 2020 Kindness Yard Sale are being used!  Get ready, it’s a good update and the money is spreading lots of joy!

First off – FLOWERS

Who doesn’t like flowers, right??  There were some vases left over after the yard sale, so I put them to good use!  I bought bouquets, arranged them, and handed them out to people who deserved some sunshine!  We delivered one to the local fire station, one to the police station, one to the man at the hospital who was working outside the emergency room checking temperatures before people could enter, and one to the hard working people at the post office.  The flowers made the recipients smile huge smiles.  Their jobs are sometimes thankless.  If you have a moment, make sure to thank important workers like them!!

Bouquets full of love and kindness


Total spent:  $35.98

Next up – VIRTUAL SCHOOL

Like many districts across America, our school district decided on remote learning.  I am not a parent so I have not experienced this personally, but every parent that I see is stressed beyond the limit at trying to make sure their children don’t fall behind in this difficult new virtual environment. 

So, I decided that the PARENTS needed some encouragement.  I bought parent-worthy treats and wrapped them in pretty boxes.  Inside were:  a can of wine (yes, you can buy wine in single serving cans!), a bottle of hand sanitizer, tea bags, chocolate bars, biscotti, a Kind bar, and a cake in a cup mix. 

Little treats for overworked, overstressed parents
Each came with a pretty card and this note:

“Dear You.

Yes, you.

You didn’t PLAN on being a teacher.  Or maybe you DID, but you didn’t plan on doing it from your HOME with your kid/s on iPad/s. 

And yet – 2020.

Here you are.

And it’s NOT EASY.  In fact, it is downright HARD!!!

But you are doing it.  Cuz you have to – it is what needs to get done.

There may be tears.  A bit of yelling.  Maybe even a curse word or 2…  But never-the-less – you will persist!!

And you deserve a little treat.  Everything in here is for YOU.  Not for your partner.  NOT for your kids.  But for YOU – the one making sure the iPads are fully charged, the missing headphones are found, and the kid sits in front of the screen and pays attention to the teacher.

These treats were purchased for you using money raised at the 2020 Kindness Yard Sale.  ENJOY!”

Presents ready to be delivered

I made 8 gift boxes, then just started knocking on doors!  It was a little odd knocking on stranger’s doors but it was also fun.  I had a lot of “no answers” (they were probably busy learning on their iPad!) but then finally someone came to the door.  I explained what I was doing and the woman happily took the gift.  One man was very skeptical and asked what was inside the box.  I explained and he replied, “No thanks,”.  That’s ok, buddy!  More treats for someone else ๐Ÿ˜Š .   

Delivery in progress

The recipients loved the boxes.  Here is what one parent told me: “Thank you so much.  I’m actually a little teary eyed.  It’s been rough and we (parents in general) have been worried about how our kids will fare, sad that this is their “normal” (my son started his first year at middle school), and just stressed that we are not “doing it” right.  The thing is, no one is really encouraging parents because we are all busy encouraging the kids.  So, this gift is refreshing, and a salve on our wounded belief in ourselves.  Thanks a trillion.  I owe you a real hug after the Rona takes her leave.” 

Total spent:  $57.41

Thirdly – CRAZY SOCKS

I saw this post in a Facebook group:  “Hi, I'm new to the group. If this isn't appropriate, please delete... I HAVE A FAVOR...A VERY SPECIAL FRIEND OF MINE IS TURNING 9, today (but hey, she's not going to care if they are late). Maddie has the heart of gold and spreads kindness wherever she goes. I was wondering if some of you wonderful painters would be willing to send a rock to her for her birthday. If so, message me and I will send you her address. (I have her mom's ok.) She loves the colors pink, blue, purple. Flowers, butterflies, polka dots the Eiffel Tower, she loves crazy socks LOL. Their family doesn't have much money right now and I just thought this would lift her spirits. She is so easy to please. Thank you for making this birthday a special one for Maddie.

Well, that was a no-brainer!!!  I contacted the author and asked if it would be ok if I sent a pair of crazy socks!!  (I am a crazy sock lover, too!  I have a whole drawer full.)  I picked some mis-matched watermelon socks and Miss Maddie loved ‘em. 

Crazy socks are the best
Total spent:  $13.95

And finally for this update – A RAINBOW

I saw this rainbow rug on a recent Ikea shopping trip and I KNEW who needed it. 

A neighbor has been doing great things for the community all during Covid.  She paints rocks and makes games with them!  She paints very detailed, gorgeous rocks, then hides them in neighbors’ yards.  Then she puts a sign at the end of the block telling people what to look for and how many rocks they can expect to find.  It’s super fun!  She has done the solar system, rainbows, quotes, Hamilton, and now the final game of the season is about voting.  Her rock hunt is a terrific excuse for lots of people in the neighborhood to get some fresh air and exercise.

This neighbor is also a fierce advocate for the LGBTQ+ community.  Her family has pride flags and signs out all year round.  So, let’s just say, I knew this door mat would fit right in!!


One rainbow rug, comin' right up!

We snuck it over and dropped it off quietly with no note.  It didn’t take long for her to figure out where it came from ๐Ÿ˜Š

Total spent:  $12.99

That’s it for this update.  There are literally thousands of dollars left in the 2020 Kindness Yard Sale fund, so expect more “accounting” news as it happens.  Now get out there and SPREAD SOME KINDNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment