kindness activist

kindness activist

Monday, October 24, 2022

$625 Million Dollars Worth Of Kindness??

Just a short accounting and story today, mixed in with a bit of my personal philosophy on kindness. 


A common belief about kindness that I disagree with is this:  kindness is meant to be shared only with people in need.


I’ve seen people get upset about people in Starbucks drive-thru s “paying it forward” and paying for the car behind them.  The argument goes like this, “The people obviously have enough money to buy their own iced vente latte, or they wouldn’t be in line at Starbucks!”.

 

Yes, they do have enough funds to cover their coffee order.  But I would ask this:  does that fact make them any less deserving of kindness?  Couldn’t we ALL benefit from a bit of kindness thrown our way?

 

I always keep that in mind when deciding on Kindness Activist acts.  I get contacted a lot about need based kindness – a woman with children getting out of an abusive relationship needing clothing, a family just arriving in America with nothing but a suitcase, a child whose parents cannot afford a birthday cake.  And we often used Kindness Activist funds to help in those situations.

 

But, I also like to remember to spread kindness not just where it is needed.  Not where it is an emergency.  But just in normal, everyday circumstances to people who do not ask for help, don’t “need” help, but still delight in being surprised by kindness.

 

And that is exactly what I am doing today!  I bought 9 Powerball tickets and am handing them out in Hollywood Beach, Florida.  I am here for work, but I have a couple of hours before I start.  The news this morning announced that the Powerball jackpot is now up to $625 million dollars!  So, why not hand some tickets out to unsuspecting strangers and wish them luck??

 


It’s harder than you think…  First – who to choose??? 

 

I saw the first person I wanted to treat as I walked into the store to buy the tickets:  an old man eating his lunch sitting on a stoop in a parking lot.  He had found a bit of shade, but it still really hot out and he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and pants.  His skin was rough and leathery – it has seen a lot of Florida sunshine.  He may not have housing, I am not sure.  But as I came out of the store he was carefully throwing his garbage in a can – thanks mister!  So many people just throw it on the ground!  I approached, smiled, told him this gift was for him and that it may be worth $625 million, told him not to lose it, and wished him luck.  He didn’t say a word to me, just took the ticket.  As I walked away, I could hear him shuffling along the sidewalk slowly – shuffle, shuffle, shuffle.  I peeked back just in time to see him tuck the lottery ticket into his back pocket. 

 

Then I had to hunt down people to give the other 8 tickets to!

 

One went to a sweet couple sitting at an outdoor table eating lunch.  I think they were visiting from another country (and I bet as I walked away there was talk in another language of, “Wow, AMERICANS!  Why is that woman giving these away???” 😊 ).  One ticket went to a man doing the gardening in the hot sun in front of a small hotel.  One went to a man who jumped off a truck to empty a trash can.  One went to a man who gives towels out to pool visitors at a hotel.  One went to a woman cleaning the bathroom at a hotel.  One went to a man painting the side of a building in an alley (he was the only one to question me, “Why are you not keeping this for yourself???”.  I think he suspected a scam of some sort.)  One went to a lifeguard who had to whistle for someone to not swim so far out in the ocean.  And I can’t remember who I gave another one to!! 

 

Sometimes you read stories about people whose lives were ruined when they won a big sum of money.  Friends and family hounded them for cash.  They spent it all on drugs.  They went bankrupt 5 years after winning.  Etc, etc, etc.

 

I would like to think that if one of these people win, their lives would be made better and not ruined.  I would like to think that, if they win, they will fondly remember the quiet woman who walked up to them on a sunny day and handed them a winning ticket, no strings attached.  And that they, too, would spread some kindness to unsuspecting strangers.  Not just because people need it, but because we all deserve a treat. 

 

Now if you will excuse me – I have one more ticket to give away!  I need to find another lucky person!

 

P.S. – I also bought myself a Powerball ticket (with my own money, not Kindness Activist money of course).  Fingers crossed!!!


P.P.S. - maybe the examples in this story did not clearly show my belief that kindness shouldn't only be given to people in need.  Sorry!  I guess I have just been pondering that notion today.  

 

Kindness Activist funds used:  $18

No comments:

Post a Comment