kindness activist

kindness activist

Saturday, October 29, 2022

The Giver Gets, Too

We often think that the receiver of an act of kindness gets the most out of it. 


But here is a little secret, shhhh.  Often, the giver of the act of kindness gets an equal (if not more) amount of wonderfulness out of the interaction.  Here is a hypothesis I would like you to consider:  in terms of joy and magic received, the act of GIVING kindness is equal to or greater than the act of RECEIVING kindness. 


Don’t believe me??  Try the theory out yourself.  It doesn’t have to be a grand gesture – just carry someone’s groceries for them.  Or tell a stranger how cool their necklace is. Or buy the person standing outside of McDonald’s asking for money a Big Mac.  Those simple acts of kindness will make you feel good – I guarantee it!  (And if they don’t, what the heck, I will give you your money back!!)


I was reminded of this concept this week when I saw a neighbor post about the neat trick-or-treat bags she just made for people.  You see, this neighbor experienced a traumatic loss a few months ago, and has been having a horrible time dealing with grief.  She spends her days working, and outside of that, crying.  She hasn’t been eating right.  She hasn’t been going out much.  She stopped doing the crafty things she always loved to do.  This woman has been drowning in a pool of grief.  Which is understandable - losing someone you love is horrible, and it takes a very long time to process.    


But then I saw her post in a local group that she wanted to make trick-or-treat bags for people…  I thought happily, “Ah, a hint of her old self!”.  Last night she sent me photos of the completed bags and they are adorable!  I know that the receivers will be so happy with them. 













And I also know that the maker, the GIVER of the act of kindness, felt a little bit better after giving them away.  Did that act of kindness make her grief disappear?  No, no.  The grief is still there and will be for a long time.  But did that act of kindness, the making of the bags, the reveal of how cute they are, the giving them away, did that bring a spark of shine to her life?  I bet my paycheck it did.  And maybe that experience of giving kindness will be like a little lifeline for her.  Maybe the next time she is feeling lonely and blue she will remember how giving kindness felt, and she will dig deep and do it again.  And little by little, perhaps kindness will help to build a little ladder that she can use to crawl out of the overwhelming sadness. 


Thanks for being a Kindness Activist, neighbor.  I have a Kind Is Cool shirt for you – may you wear it in good health.

 

Here’s an accounting update on how some Kindness Yard Sale funds have been used recently:


A neighbor was looking for headsets for her classroom.  She wrote: “I hate to ask but ….. headphones. We need them badly for our 3rd grade room. So many students cannot buy them, and I have a special student who is triggered by noise. He loses it every time we need to work on iPads and his seat mates don’t have headphones and need to have volume up to work on apps. This teacher is stressing!”.


These are the exact situations that Kindness Yard Sale money is perfect for!  A friend found a great deal on headsets and we ordered 12 for the classroom.  But I wasn’t the only one who heeded to call for help!  Other neighbors also pitched in!  This week the teacher who asked for the headphones shared a thank you: “Take a look, my dear community. This is you in action! This is kindness! This is consideration! This is thoughtfulness in action! When I asked for help with headphones I only asked for a few. I never thought I could ask for the class set I needed but nevertheless you came through. I was overwhelmed with your generosity over and above. From the Kindness fund to each and every neighbor who contributed or offered to help… I and my forty-five sweet 3rd graders want to send our deepest gratitude!”.


Isn’t that perfect??  And she has a great system for storing them, too.

Headsets for all!


I love helping out teachers.  They have such important jobs and are deserving of our respect (and a lot bigger paychecks than they receive).

 

Kindness Activist funds spent:  $139.80

 

Made another small purchase with Kindness Activist funds.  This one was for Depends, the adult size undergarments/diapers that some people need.  Someone wanted to see if they would be a good fit for their elderly mother, and there again, it seemed like a great use of the money raised at the yard sale.  So I ordered a pack and sent them directly to the household that needed them. 


Haven’t heard yet if they are a good solution for the situation, but I am thankful to have the Kindness money to help the family give them a try. 


Kindness Activist funds spent:  $12.88 (again proving that acts of kindness don’t need to be fancy or cost a lot, simple, small acts go a very long way) 


 

Who likes to have a tea party??  Everybody does, that’s who!!  Including a 3 year old neighbor boy.  Turns out, he has gotten into tea parties lately, so I hooked him up with a really cute tea set and some fancy schmancy cookies (macaroons) to go with it. 


Lucky for me, he came with his mom to pick it all up, so I got to try it out, too!!  Let me just tell you, tea tastes even BETTER when it is served in a fancy pot and fancy cups (even if the “tea” in question is water). 

Ahhh, a little tea on the front porch.  Delicious!



His mom later reported that he tried a bit of actual tea at home, too.  Little friend – may your tea parties always be fancy and may simple joys continue to delight you as your grow up. 

You go kid!  Even a fancy tablecloth!  Now THAT'S a tea party!


Kindness Activist funds spent:  $45.84



And finally for this report – spices.  A family from Bolivia moved to our community to start over.  They came with practically nothing, so a kind neighbor put out a call for needed items.  One thing on the list was SPICES, so I chose that. 


I have learned from traveling to other countries and hosting international guests at our home that each culture has their own spices that they like to use.  Not every country is the same in the kitchen!   I asked what spices would be good, got them together, and the woman came and picked it all up to give to the family.



I hope that the spices help them cook food that feels comfortable to them, is tasty, and reminds them of home as they begin their new lives in America.


Kindness Activist funds spent:  $113.02

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment