kindness activist

kindness activist

Thursday, April 6, 2023

Cold, Sticky Kindness

So, not gonna lie.

Sometimes the injustices, the inequities, and the overall sadness of life get to me. A friend's husband got bad news on his health today. A neighbor confided over tears yesterday that her husband is drinking (again) and it is causing huge problems. Two friends are working very hard to get out of abusive situations... The world piles on a LOT sometimes and it is hard to see the positive.

Last night I couldn't sleep. Only, I wasn't worried about anything, but I had an IDEA that I couldn't stop thinking about: POPSICLES.

The weather report said today was going to have a high of 86 degrees, and it was spot on. Instead of spring, it felt like a summer day. And I wanted to celebrate that with POPSICLES. For everyone.

I asked David to do a grocery run to stock up on a variety of popsicles today, and I did another quick run for more (and ice) after I finished work. I had posted in two local groups that people could stop by between 6:30 pm - 7:45 pm tonight for a popsicle, but of course I had no idea how many would show up.

I "opened" early - 6:25. I think it was because I was so excited! And for the first few minutes I sat on the front porch steps alone... But then people started coming! Neighbors who had seen the post and came specifically for a treat. Joggers who paused when they saw the action and got a popsicle. A pantry guest on his way home from work who was surprised that he could get not only his instant mashed potatoes in the pantry, but also a popsicle!

Around 50 people came. We chatted. Kids got sticky, the kind of sticky a good popsicle makes you.

The horribleness in the world still remains. One evening of fresh air and popsicles cannot cure that. But people came. Neighbors talked. I met new people. Babies ate their first popsicles.

Earth shattering? Not at all. But a little drop in the bucket toward making the world a better place.

Kindness Activist funds used: $51.95 (and enough leftovers in the freezer to host another popsicle night)

Magic spread: impossible to measure, but I for one feel a bit better about the world tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment