kindness activist

kindness activist

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Good Food

Sometimes being in charge of the Little Yellow Free Pantry overwhelms me.


That’s the truth.


It is not an easy project to manage.  It probably seems easy when you look at it:  a relatively small box, two shelves, with food and toiletries displayed inside.  I mean, how hard can that be to run??


But in reality – it is very hard. 


There are the daily Amazon donations to unpack, bring down to the pantry storage area, and put away.  There are the daily hand delivered donations to sort through (checking “best by” dates), bring down to the pantry storage area, and put away.  There is the Amazon list to keep up to date (don’t want too much of one thing and none of something else).  There is the constant restocking of items in the pantry.  There is greeting guests and running down to the storage area to bring them out bags of what they need.  There is collecting, responding to, shopping for food, and delivering it when notes for special items are left in pantry.


And that doesn’t take into account the physical upkeep of the actual pantry!  Changing batteries when the lights don’t work.  Fixing the doors when they get broken.  Honestly, the whole pantry needs to be rebuilt at the moment as it has been out in the elements for two years and is falling apart a bit.


I tell you these things not to complain – trust me, I loooove being the keeper of the Little Yellow Free Pantry.  It brings me great joy.  But I share those things so that you might get a sense of how it can all get a bit overwhelming sometimes.


But then something happens, something always happens, to center me in the experience and remind me that all of the effort is indeed worth it.


One of those things happened today.  I want to share it with you so that you, too, can get a sense of the value that a tiny box with two shelves can bring to a community.


We were out in the yard, having just hung about 150 plastic eggs filled with treats from our fence for passersby to find and share (with 100 more to hang tomorrow).  It looks like quite a sight - brightly colored plastic eggs dangling from pretty ribbons all along the fence.  Lovely! 


Two women I had never seen before stopped to take it all in.  They looked a bit confused (and I can understand why, the whole vibe of our home can be a touch overwhelming).  They walked to the pantry and stopped to look in.  They didn’t open the doors but peered through the windows of the pantry.  They spoke quietly to one another in a language I could tell was not English, but they were so quiet I couldn’t make it out.  Then one of them said to me, “Food??”. 


“Yes!” I told them.  “Food!  For all (I gestured around the neighborhood)”.  More quiet talking, likely translating what I had tried to explain.  “For you!  You can have”.  Quiet talking…  “What would you like?  Soup?  Peanut butter?  Tea?” I tried.  “Eggs??” was the quiet response.  Sadly, I had just given away the eggs this morning…  “Hmmm, no eggs…  You wait – I will show!  Please stay,” I said as I rushed in to fill a basket with choices.  With the language barrier I figured it would be easier to SHOW than TELL. 


I brought out a basket of items and some cloth grocery bags.  I gave each woman a bag and held up an item.  “Soup – yes or no??”   “Yes!”  I put it into one of their bags.  “Shampoo (gesturing to show washing my hair) – yes or no?”  “Yes,” they said as they caught on to the system. 


One by one we went through the items, some yes, some no.  After one yes on a food item, the woman asked, “Is good??”.  Hmmm, what did she mean?  Does it taste good?  She saw the confusion on my face and tried again.  “Is, ummm, expire??” she asked.  “Ahhh, no!!  Not expired!  Good!  Good.  All good.  All food here – GOOD,” I explained.  And then I realized that this must seem too good to be true.  How had they happened upon such a place – a place that would help them fill their bellies and wash their hair – and the things they would be given were nice and fresh and new and GOOD.  (And I where had they been given things that were not good, and so often that they had learned the word “expire”….)




I asked where they were from and they told me Afghanistan.  They have been here for one and a half years.  Meaning – they are refugees of the war. 


It is moments like that when I am reminded that the mission of the pantry is important.  Not only does it provide nourishment to many, it also provides hope.  It provides welcome.  It provides community.  


Welcome to the neighborhood, ladies.  I wish we had met you sooner.  I am thankful you walked by today and were brave enough to stop and talk.  May America be a safe place for you.  May you make many friends in this country.  And may your food always be GOOD.


No comments:

Post a Comment