kindness activist

kindness activist

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Kindness Ripples

One thing that brings me both pride and joy is taking a moment to pause and take in the KINDNESS RIPPLES that are flowing.


Kindness Ripples are kind actions that occur because the person doing them has been inspired by other acts of kindness.  These ripples are at the heart of Kindness Activist – my belief in ripples makes me brave enough to put myself out there and talk about kindness to the world.


The longer I have been engaged in Kindness Activism, the more ripples I see.  Maybe it is because my eyes have become more astute at spotting them, I don’t know.  But what I do know is that they happen every single day:


-         A stranger drove by recently, saw me outside doing something, and made a u-turn to come back.  He explained that he met me about a decade ago when I was standing outside sharing slices of fresh peaches that we had picked from our tree.  He appreciated that gesture and has been watching the kindness emanate from the Big Yellow House ever since.  I didn’t even REMEMBER handing out peach slices, but I dug back in my photos and sure enough, on August 3, 2014 (well before the idea of Kindness Activist was conceived), I stood outside and handed out fresh fruit from our tree!!  So, this stranger who had been the recipient of kindness so many years ago reached into his pocket and donated $60 to the cause!  That was one long lasting ripple!

When your peach tree is prolific, you SHARE!  August 2014


-         People we have never met walk by and bravely take time to stop and say “Thank you.  I don’t know you, but thank you for all you do for the community.  You are an inspiration.”  I have to believe that they then carry that inspiration, that ripple, with them on their walk and do something kind for someone. 


-         A woman stops by every once in a while.  I have met her and know her name, but we have never had a chance to have a real conversation.  But she pops over to our porch or hails me to her car and gives a donation.  She recently gave $100.  She wants to see the kindness continue.  She has caught a ripple.


-         A friend told me the other day that because of what she has witnessed Kindness Activist do, she has become a kinder person.  She, too, has caught a ripple.  She explained that she is consciously trying to be more kind in her own life now.


-         Another friend is an artist and recently began selling beautiful photographs that she has taken and printed.  She could use the money – rent here in the DC metro area is very expensive and she is also dealing with some health issues which can result in big medical bills.  But instead of keeping all of her hard-earned income, she donated 10% of it to Kindness Activist.  Ripple.


-         People stop and take photos of the green neon “Just Be Kind” sign that glows from our front porch every night.  It’s funny – many people are too shy or embarrassed to come up and say hi.  Sometimes when I see them out there, I smile and wave, and they quickly put their phones down and walk away, ashamed that I “caught” them I guess.  But people – I am grateful for your photos!  Because I know they will be posted to Instagram and Twitter your friends will see them and their friends will see them ….  And that little green sign will work quietly to spread ripples all night long.


Simple message.  
I was nervous about spending Kindness Activist funds on a neon sign, but it turned out to be a great investment as it has created MANY ripples ($201.37).



And finally, one more story of an amazing ripple. 


A local father reached out to me via Facebook message and said, “Our kids have a “charity bucket” as part of their allowances.  They aren’t allowed to spend it but choose where to donate.  They chose to give half of their 2022 donation to Kindness Activist.  What’s the best way to do that?”   

THANK YOU NEIGHBORS!


Oh my goodness!!!!  Even children are catching the kindness ripples!!  The dad told me that the children earn $1 a week allowance (plus interest) and one of the “buckets” that they have for the money is charity.  When I expressed my gratitude and disbelief that 3 young kids were willing to donate $300 to Kindness Activist, he told me, “It was an easy decision for them as they see your work in the neighborhood.  And our youngest is a frequent consumer of everything you offer around the holidays”. 


Isn’t that so sweet??? Kindness Ripples in ACTION!  Makes me proud and very, very happy.  I wrote them a thank you and it was fun telling them the cool ways that their donation spread kindness.


What act of kindness can YOU do today that will inspire a Kindness Ripple?  It doesn’t have to be a big gesture – any simple act of kindness will do.  And, because of ripples, your act will beget another act which will beget another act…  And the ripples will just keep on flowing.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment