kindness activist

kindness activist

Sunday, May 12, 2024

In Memory of Adriana - May Her Plants Always Be Green and Her Smile Be Remembered

Color.  Me.  Tired.


Tired - but peaceful.


I had a great weekend at the Kindness Plant Sale.  I was a bit worried going into it – the woman who founded the Kindness Plant Sales and did a ton of work for all previous sales died 2 months ago.  Her name was Adriana Jokisch Sagrera.  And she was a kind, kind soul who left this earth way too soon.


One day a couple of years ago, Adriana messaged me and said that she had an idea.  How about, she asked, if she hosted a KINDNESS PLANT SALE??  It would be her and some other plant lovers, and they would do all the work.  They would propagate plants, put them in pots, nurture them…  And they would donate all of the proceeds to Kindness Activist.  All I would need to do is let them use our yard for the event (because we are in a well trafficked area). 


Ummm, YES!  Who could say no to that offer? 


And how she explained it was exactly how it worked.  She and the other “plant whisperers” came to our home, set up LOTS of beautiful plants, and I just popped outside, sat and chatted in the sunshine all day, and enjoyed the events.  It was amazing!  Everyone loved the Kindness Plant Sales and they were very successful in fundraising for the cause.


Adriana in her happy place - with plants, friends, sunshine, and being KIND


And the plant sales weren’t all Adriana did to support the mission.  Oh no – she went all out.  She made specially shaped crayons for the Advent Countdown Calendar.  She donated jewelry to Kindness Auctions.  She volunteered her time.  She gave jewelry making supplies to a woman from Ukraine who was staying with us.  She gave art supplies to a child we were hosting.  She donated her beautiful photo prints to help raise money for Kindness Activist.  She donated many, many items to Kindness Yard Sales over the years.  She brokered a Kindness Loan for a friend of hers in need (which was paid off just as set forth in the agreement).  She sent messages of support and love.  She gave me plant advice.  She loaned me her WEDDING GOWN when I was collecting some for a community member to choose from, and Adriana's dress was the perfect one.  The bride LOVED IT and wore it with pride.  She laughed at my jokes.  She reached out and asked if she could make special letter signs for the Kindness Yard Sale out of cool materials.  Those signs have been used for several sales.  And in the most recent Kindness Auction, she donated a jewelry making session for the winner and some friends.  I was bidding on it against someone else who really wanted it.  Adriana sent me a message telling me that even if I didn’t win the bid, she would love to host me and some friends to come to her home and make necklaces. 


Mermaid crayons made by Adriana - she made loads of fun shapes


She said YES to Adriana's dress

Adriana's letter signs
(her former co-worker made the P L A N T signs for this event,
the ones Adriana made include the letters Y A R D)


I am so grateful that she gave us that experience.  Three friends and I were welcomed into her home last winter. She had laid out case after case of beads.  Beads of every size, shape, and color.  It was amazing!  She gave us advice on putting our pieces together, and had to physically help me a lot (I am not, it turns out, a professional necklace maker…). 

The students and the master (we will wear our necklaces to her upcoming memorial service)

And then, too soon, she was gone.


So, this Kindness Plant Sale was in her honor.  We had a small table with a beautiful floral arrangement on it for her.  A note explained to shoppers who she was, and let everyone know when the upcoming memorial service will be.  Her husband and young son came to the sale and talked with her friends.  They saw the pots that they had lovingly donated after her death – we marked them with her name so that people in the community would know which were hers.  And twice during the sale we did toasts to Adriana – to her memory, her friendship, and her kindness.


Oh, she would’ve been happy with the event.  The sun shone.  The plants were beautiful.  And shoppers were generous.


So generous, in fact, that $4048.76 was raised for Kindness Activist.  In just 2 days.  Isn’t that astounding?  Over $4000!! 



And the money for the cause is not the only high point of the event.  Equally important in my mind is the COMMUNITY that events like this builds.  Neighbors meeting neighbors.  Old friends seeing one another again.  Newly arrived Arlingtonians being welcomed into the city.  Sighting of famous Arlington celebrities (Gary and Marc!). 


Some highlights for me of the weekend:

-         A little friend walked around the corner into the sale space all by herself.  “Where’s your mom?” I asked.  “In the car, over there,” she pointed.  “Ahhh, it is Mother’s Day, are you here to shop for her??”.  Bingo – she was looking for a special gift for her mother.  It was so sweet!  After discussing all of the possibilities – indoor, outdoor, in a pot, to put in the ground, favorite colors… she chose some black eyed Susans to plant in the garden and a colorful glass heart.  “Oh, here, I have a donation,” she said as she handed me some money.  So sweet.

-         Our artist friend was here for the sale.  On Saturday she painted portraits of guests.  She was so proud of her work and that everyone liked it.  Then on Sunday, she met a young woman who is graduating from high school and heading to college.  “I am so happy!” I heard her tell the young woman.  “You are so good!  Susan – she will study politics and be an IMMIGRATION LAWYER!”, said my friend who recently received her green card and couldn’t be prouder.  “I am a real person now!” she proclaimed.

-         Two young pantry guests stopped to get some food as I stood nearby chatting with a friend.  I asked if they needed any other food and they said no thank you.  They rode off on their bikes, but a few minutes later came back.  They approached and quietly asked, “Ummm, can we get a flower or something?”.  “Oh, for Mother’s Day?” I clarified.  “Yes please…”.  So, 2 cuties looked around and found the perfect plants for their mothers.  I bet those moms were delighted.

-         I got to meet some neighbors who I had only communicated with online.  What a joy to see their faces and have real conversation.  As I was talking with a couple, a pantry regular approached.  Only, before he reached the pantry, he stopped at the corner.  He sat down all of his things (including a boom box, which I have never seen him with before), then SAT DOWN on the sidewalk.  He leaned against the wooden pole of our fence.  I said goodbye to the neighbors and went over to the man.  “Excuse me sir, are you hungry?  Would you like something?  Maybe some soup?” I asked.  He said that he was hungry so I went inside to make him a dinner.  Hot soup, applesauce, iced tea, and a chocolate bar.  I served it to him right there on the pavement and he ate it up.  May have been the first hot meal he has had in a while.


So, while my body is physically exhausted from the work, and my heart is tired from the sadness of the world losing a beautiful human being, my SOUL IS SATISFIED.  I know that the hours put into this event did honor Adriana.  I know if she had been here, she would have laughed and chatted and taught and celebrated the success. 


Thank you, neighbors, for supporting Kindness Activist.


Thank you, friends, for staying up late with me laughing and making floral arrangements the night before the sale.


Thank you, community members, for donating so many vases, plants, bulbs, and pots.  And for making cupcakes and brownies.


Thank you, lemonade stand volunteers, for serving bright pink lemonade and melty Reeses Peanut Butter Cups with a smile.  $101.26 of the total proceeds were from the lemonade stand.


Thank you, Plant Whisperers, for nurturing, growing, and delivering plant after plant after plant for the sale, and being at the event to assist shoppers.

 

Thank you, Adriana, for making the world a better place.  You are missed.





No comments:

Post a Comment