kindness activist

kindness activist

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Wipes of Kindness


The world is in a state of panic.  Covid 19, the Corona Virus, is spreading at a very rapid rate it what seems to be every corner of the world.

But I don’t need to tell you that.  Newspapers, television, emergency alert texts, and social media are covering the illness and the repercussions of it extensively.  The markets are crashing, there are not enough test kits, flights are being cancelled, people are being quarantined, and “social distancing” is the new norm.  Trying to keep up on it all feels like trying to drink from a fire hose.

But one thing is clear – people are panicked.  And when people panic, kindness often goes by the wayside.   Humans are hard-wired to take care of THEMSELVES and their FAMILIES/FRIENDS first.  It is why wars happen.  It is why people say, “blood is thicker than water”.  And, I guess ultimately, it is why many are hoarding essentials at the stores – toilet paper, dairy, eggs, fresh produce, hand sanitizer, etc.  Seeing someone push a cart loaded with the last 20 packages of toilet paper down a grocery aisle, refusing to share even one roll with another shopper, appears to be self-preservation in a comically absurdist extreme.

So, in this time of fear and panic, when an act of kindness appears it seems extra special.  I will be highlighting some of those kind acts in this blog so that you, too, can read them and be inspired that there is still kindness in the world.  And who knows, you may be so inspired that you spread a little kindness yourself, even if it is spread from the confines of your quarantined home.

Here is today’s installment of Kindness During a Pandemic.  This one is called, “WIPES OF KINDNESS”.

My sweetheart and I have been on vacation in St. Kitts (an island in the Caribbean).  We were there 7 days and tried to semi unplug ourselves from the news.  Of course, since the situation with the Corona Virus is so serious, we DID watch a bit of news while there and read some articles. 

It was while we were there that the situation became very serious in the US.  Universities and schools started to close.  Social distancing became a thing.  And all hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes disappeared from the shelves.  Actually, I guess the run on hand sanitizer and wipes happened right before we left, because I couldn’t find any of those the night before our flight to bring with us (and ended up bringing the only alcohol wipes we had at home, which we POSTAGE STAMP size 😊 ). 

When we were preparing to fly home (which included considering staying THERE…), I realized that since St. Kitts was just NOW starting to feel the impacts of the disease, I might be able to score a bottle of hand sanitizer and some wipes to bring home in our luggage.  So, we ran to the little grocery store.  They had wipes, but the hand sanitizer was already sold out.  We bought one container of wipes and packed them.


Think about that last paragraph.  How self-centered could I be???  “Since St. Kitts was just now starting to feel the impacts…”.  Basically, that is me saying, “Since I know how important these wipes are already and how I will not be able to get them in my home country, I will buy THEIRS here, precluding them from getting some”.  It’s so embarrassing seeing it spelled out here, but that is exactly what I did. 

But wait, my behavior gets worse…

I packed the wipes in my carry-on with a plan of wiping down our airplane seats, hand rests, and tray tables.  And when we got on board our first flight, we did just that.  I considered, for a brief second, asking our seatmate if he would like a wipe, but my brain said, “NOPE!  Think of yourself first!  Susan, you need these wipes!!  All of them!  You won’t be able to find any at home!!!”.  So, I followed my head and quietly repacked them in the carry-on before take-off.

Lucky for the rest of the plane, a woman 2 rows ahead of us was not so selfish. 

She had a package of wipes the same size as mine.  She took one or two out, wiped down her area, then said in a very loud and cheerful voice, “WIPES!!!  I HAVE WIPES HERE!  DOES ANYONE NEED A WIPE TO CLEAN THEIR AREA???”.

People.  Were.  Shocked.  I heard a guy behind me say, “Why is she doing that??  She could sell those things and make a lot of money!!”.

At first, people didn’t really understand or believe her generosity.  She had to clarify, “No!  Seriously!  We all should wipe down, here, take some and pass this back.  Everyone – feel free to use these wipes!!”. 

She was so kind!!!!!  “Thanks!” rang out as people took a wipe and passed the container back.

And just like that, I was reminded. 

Even in times of chaos.  In times where it seems like self-preservation is the only thing we can do.  There are other choices.

We can be kind.

I will use that woman as a model for my behavior in the coming weeks.  Things with the virus will very likely get much worse.  But if we can keep our heads clear and remember that KINDNESS MATTERS, we can help one another get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment