kindness activist

kindness activist

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Magical Kindness Ripples

I believe in magical thinking.


I have always known that I do, and it is something I rather enjoy (most of the time).  My magical thinking manifests itself in a variety of ways and I embrace it.  I do not believe that it makes me irrational or childish (as some might say) – I think it is an extension of my creative brain.


My magical thinking has played a part in a mystery this year.  One that I feared to solve, because perhaps knowing the true answer would make the magic disappear (or maybe cause it to be “less magical” if that makes sense).

 

Here is the mystery:

 

We had another secret donor to the Little Yellow Free Pantry.

 

Boxes and bags would arrive with the same name on the Amazon slips over and over – a first initial and a last name. 

 

Of course I NOTICED it.  I mean, how could I NOT?  The mystery gifts arrived so frequently.  The boxes often contained fun, unusual items from the Pantry wish list, things that more “practical” donors might not choose.  A jar of salted nuts.  Pancake syrup.  Spices.  Chocolate chip cookie mix.  Not things that are strictly NECESSITIES, but items that make eating more enjoyable, and “level the playing field” a bit for those who are food insecure (and make their dinners much, much less boring).

 

Now, in the back of my mind, of course I was curious who was sending these donations.  There were never any NOTES on the Amazon slips, just the same initial and last name – box after box.  After a few months my curiosity got the best of me.  I worked up some courage and sent awkward messages to anyone I knew whose first initial and last name matched the Amazon slips.  I sent a neighbor this odd message, “Are these amazing donations for the Little Yellow Free Pantry that come with Amazon slips saying (first initial last name) from YOU?  I just opened another one - sunflower seeds, ramen, OLD BAY, spices, and hot sauce!!”.  I soon got this reply, “I'm sorry to say, not me. I know there are many of us with this initial and name!”.  I asked another possible contender, and after denying it was her, she said, “Aww. I wish I could claim it”.

 

And I will go ahead and confess here that in my heart of hearts, I connected this mystery donor to the other donor that I became long-distance mystery friends with – E.A. Raven.  She, like this new person, sent box after box of delightfully chosen items for the pantry.  Only, she included NOTES, which upped the ante and always made me smile.  And back then, Amazon was much more civilized and had a feature where recipients of gifts (me in these instances) could scan a QR code and write a short thank you back to the giver!!  So of course, with each E.A. Raven delivery, I would excitedly scan the QR code and send her (or was it a him???) a note back.  I didn’t know who I was writing, but I knew I was very grateful for them.

 

I didn’t find out who E.A. Raven was until after she had passed away.  Her sister Ann emailed me telling me of the death.  The email was so kind – “My sister Betty Raven loved donating items to your charity. Sadly, she passed a week ago. I wanted to inform you so that you understand why she stopped donating.”

 

The story of the strange long-distance friendship and the incredible woman’s kindness to a charity so far away became the topic of a piece in the Washington Post.  Talented journalist Theresa Vargas interviewed me and E.A. Raven’s family and shared the beautiful story of kindness.  And when the piece was published – boxes flooded in.  People from all around the country read the piece, were inspired by E.A. Raven’s kindness, and joined in the magic.

 

Just some of the MANY boxes that arrived after the first E.A. Raven story was published in
the Washington Post (December 2023)

I didn’t know it at the time, but one person who saw that Washington Post article about E.A. Raven realized that perhaps supporting the Little Yellow Free Pantry was just the thing she was looking for.  She was not a “people person”, but wanted to give back to the world.  She, like almost every person I have ever met, WANTED to be kind, but needed an outlet.  Could the Little Yellow Free Pantry and Kindness Activist fill the need??

 

Ironically, E.A. Raven had also found out about Kindness Activist through a story written by Theresa Vargas and published in the Washington Post.  The one she read was about the Santa Project – the delightful (and large) project we undertake each December.  Children write letters to Santa and mail them in a special box at our home, and Santa writes each child a letter back (there’s no AI in kindness, these are all written from the heart).  Each child also receives a gift/gifts that they requested.

 

Sweet letter writing finishing up his note to Santa (2025)

E.A. Raven had seen that story, been enthralled by our mission, and wholeheartedly jumped on board.

 

And now, it seemed, another person had seen the E.A.RAVEN story and been inspired to join in!  Talk about a kindness ripple!

 

But it was not my amateur sleuthing that solved the mystery.  You see, one day I woke up to an email that revealed the answer…  Someone had contacted Kindness Activist to ask what was the best way to make a monetary donation.  They signed the email with a single initial…  And the email address included the same last name as the mystery Amazon slips.

 

My heart leapt!!!  Could this be the person????  I replied far too quickly (and wrote far too much…):

 

“MYSTERY SOLVED!!

 

(Initial and last name) - you do not know how hard I have tried to find you!!!  

 

The donations - oh the beautiful pantry donations!!  All with the same first initial and last name.  

 

Every time I open one (or a pantry crew member opens one), the mystery:  SAME NAME.  Who is this person?  Do I know them???  Are they a neighbor?  Are they someone I have met in passing???

 

Are YOU the person of the mystery pantry donations????  If so, THANK YOU!  You have sent so many amazing donations for the pantry and helped us feed the community.  You have helped refill the storage shelves when they were getting low, and you have made so many people happy with the thoughtful choices you send.  And you have made ME happy (not that that is the goal...) by being so supportive of our mission.  THANK YOU!

 

Thank you for reaching out.  This was the BEST morning email to wake up to!! “

 

I sent that overly long email July 15th.

 

And I waited.

 

And waited.

 

No reply.

 

Did I scare her away??  Oh, I shouldn’t have been so effusive.  But I couldn’t help it – I was so EXCITED!!

 

So, I kept waiting.

 

And 8 days later, a reply came…

 

“Yes, (first initial last name) is me.  I’m happy to have provided you a mystery.  I can’t resist them, too!

 

I should thank you for providing me with a way to help.  I’m not at all a “people person”, so volunteering seemed impossible.  But the December, 2023, W. Post article about your pantry showed me a way.  I donated via another user name through 2024 and into 2025 when I opened this new account.

 

The “shopping” is strangely soothing for me; very useful when I’m stressed.  Also, it has made me reconsider my attitudes toward food.

 

Anyway, please send me an address or your Venmo information.  Either way is fine. Thanks!”

 

THE MYSTERY WAS SOLVED!

 

Of course, there were still so many questions I wanted to ask.  But I also wanted to be respectful of her time, and didn’t want to overwhelm her.  I wrote back:

 

“I am so glad that you replied.  And am so happy to have solved the mystery!!

 

And you referenced the Washington Post article from December 2023, the one about the OTHER mystery donor, E.A. Raven, right.  Seeing that reference made me tear up.  Secretly, quietly, I called you the "new" E.A. Raven.  I didn't want to say it out loud for fear of jinxing anything, but your kindness is so reminiscent of her that I couldn't help but think of her.  Because of that article, I got to meet her sister.  She and her husband even came to visit the pantry while they were on a trip!  And the story of her sister's generosity lives on through that Post story.  

 

I get the not being a people person thing.  I get "over peopled" sometimes and just need a break.  I am glad that we can provide this outlet for you to give back.  Without people like YOU, we could not feed the village.

 

I was doing an interview last evening and I tried to explain that running a program based on donations not only helps the recipients, but it also provides an outlet for the donors.  That is something we never considered when starting Kindness Activist, and honestly, I still have to stop myself sometimes and try and reframe it for me.  I worry that I ask too much, I don't want it to seem like we are begging.  But a kind supporter recently said, "Susan, stop.  Your asks provide an avenue for people to help.".  And that is true.  I really believe that deep down, we all want to be kind.  Sometimes it is just hard to find avenues to do it.

 

Thanks for revealing yourself.  As much as I adore a good mystery, this reveal was lovely!!”.

 

She wrote, “The E.A. Raven article made me think that I could help in a way that worked for me.   Like her, I think food shouldn’t be boring, so I buy all the spices, hot sauces and peppers that I can to make these prepared foods more interesting and to allow the people who can cook to be able to be creative.

 

Now, in 2026, I buy from Amazon only for your pantry.  I try to organize my orders so that I never pay a penny in shipping (without Prime) and make Amazon deliver on as many days as possible. For example, I place a $35-plus-change order late in an evening and then have 24 hours to contemplate what other items/timing of subsequent orders would necessitate separate shipments.  My “best” order last month required shipments on 4 different days. See how much amusement your wishlist provides!”.

 

Oh how I giggled.  That last nugget of information solved another part of the mystery – why when we got donations from this lovely woman, we would get them 2 or 3 days in a row.  It was because she was sticking it to the man!!!  Working the Amazon system in her favor.  I love it!

 

In the month since this lovely story developed, this amazing human has also sent a monetary donation to Kindness Activist.  It is hard to express how thankful we are for the support. 

 

And the whole experience has been a reminder of how important KINDNESS RIPPLES are.

 

Little did E.A. Raven know, when she was resting in bed in Indiana ordering food for a pantry some 500 miles away, what a PROFOUND impact her kindness would have.  I reckon she thought she was sending just ketchup.  Or sardines.  Or cake frosting.

 

But what she was really sending was love.  And hope.  And, of course, kindness.

 

Her generosity inspired so many others.  The stories shared in the Washington Post have been read by many and resulted in the pantry receiving box after box of much needed supplies.

 

Thank you, Theresa Vargas for sharing the stories of kindness.

 

Thank you, E.A. Raven for being a beacon of love and light in what sometimes feels like a dark world.

 

And thank YOU, no longer a mystery donor.  Your kindness means the world to us.  We are grateful for your support and delighted to have solved the mystery!  Who knows, maybe someday we will end up in the same place at the same time…  Perhaps if I magical think it – it will happen!

 

Oh, and another amazing wrinkle to the kindness story.  We will be seeing E.A. Raven’s sister and brother-in-law again soon.  They are passing through our area and we will get together.

Meeting E.A. Raven's sister Ann the first time

 

I am smiling even writing this story.  It all seems so improbable. 

 

But it is true – I swear it is all true.

 

Because kindness begets kindness begets kindness.  Ripple after ripple.

 

The end (but never really the end…).

 

(Name of donor kept a secret to respect her privacy, and as one of my favorite songs says, to “Let the Mystery Be”.)

 

Washington Post article about the Santa Project:  Letters to Santa are left daily at this home. Mrs. Claus is ready. - The Washington Post

Washington Post article about E.A. Raven:  Boxes kept arriving from a mystery donor. An obituary revealed her name. - The Washington Post

Iris Dement singing “Let the Mystery Be”:  Let The Mystery Be - Iris DeMent H.Q.


Just some of the amazing donations that came in after Washington Post ran
Theresa Vargas' final column, which included the magical story of E.A. Raven and her kindness
(June 2024)


No comments:

Post a Comment