kindness activist

kindness activist

Monday, September 21, 2026

Summer Pantry Crew (and a can of carrots...)

I am not a numbers person.

I love words.  And I love people.


But I recognize that some people ARE numbers people, so that’s why I led will this piece with figures:


·      Over 150 hours

·      Spanning 56 days

·      7 adults (plus one as needed assistant)

·      5 kids

·      Countless guests


Those numbers represent what it took to run the Little Yellow Free Pantry (LYFP) over the summer so that David and I could get away for a much-needed break.


Because you see, the LYFP is not just a decoration on a street corner.

It’s not an afterthought.


It is a very intentional and important part of our community.


It helps feed people.  It gives them nourishment to have energy to tackle their jobs.  Or to focus in school.  Or to take care of their family.  Or to simply survive.


Yes, at 5 ½ years old, it has become an integral part of the “food chain” in our community. 


Like I said, I am not a numbers person, so I don’t usually share this fact…  But the Little Yellow Free Pantry gives away over $83,000 of food and toiletries annually (I am sure that number is actually much higher than that now with the price of groceries having risen so much). 


Because of the importance of the LYFP in our community, it is sometimes difficult for David and I to get away.  I feel guilty leaving the pantry unattended. 


Now, you might be thinking, “Oh Susan, it will be fine.  Just let it run organically.  People will put things in there.  The guests will be fine.  Don’t worry.”


But I KNOW many of these guests.  I know their needs, their preferences, their dietary restrictions…  They are a part of this community, and I don’t want to let them down.  I don’t want them to repeatedly make the trek to the LYFP (by bus, by foot, by car (using valuable gas), by bike, by skateboard…) and find it empty.


Plus, we take the concept of “Everybody deserves good food” seriously around here.  We believe that if we wouldn’t eat it, we shouldn’t serve it in the pantry either.   That’s why we are careful to sort through donations.  If an item is open or expired, it does not go in the pantry.  We want guests to be treated with the respect all humans deserve, and serving them food out of rusty, expired cans is not the way to do that. 

 

But that sorting takes a lot of effort. 

And opening the boxes of donated food takes a lot of work.

As does hauling that heavy food downstairs.

And noting expiration dates on things.

And shelving it all.

And breaking down boxes for recycling.

And decanting large bottles of oil into smaller jars, and big bags of rice into meal size sealed packets.

And talking with guests when they visit to see if they have a special need that we might be able to meet.


It takes a lot of time, effort, and love to keep the pantry going.


And while we are gone, it also takes a lot of communication and trust.


And that’s when the PANTRY CREW steps in to replace us!


We have a year-round, constant Pantry Crew, neighbors who are both kind and trustworthy.  Because, you see, they actually come into our home when we are not here to work on the pantry.  Never did I ever imagine living in a house that neighbors came in and out of when I was not present, but here we are! 


The constant crew was not quite big enough to pick up the work for the summer, so we added some special summer crew members, too!  The summer crew included:

·      Teresa (and occasionally her husband Dan when donations were too heavy to carry down to the shelves)

·      Kasey and her kids Mackenzie and Ryder

·      Christy

·      Jacquie

·      Ixi, Mac, and their kids Ixel and John

·      Cindy and her granddaughter Daisy


This amazing group of humans kept the pantry alive while we escaped to Florida.  While we were swimming in the ocean, they were sweating carrying down heavy boxes of veggies.  While we were relaxing on the beach, they were talking with guests and getting them what they needed.  And while we were playing board games, they were cutting up boxes and hauling them to the curb.


The pantry simply could NOT exist without volunteers, and we are super grateful for these people!!


Joining the crew showed summer members firsthand how hard it is to manage a project of this scale.  It also allowed them to meet some guests and see firsthand who the food supports.  It taught the new child member responsibility (and she even brought her dad over one afternoon so she could teach HIM how it all works).  And it reinforced community, compassion, and empathy for all.


We hosted a Thank You Party for the Summer Crew and had a great time eating, laughing, and chatting.  We talked about our favorite things to put in the pantry: Ixel – pads and tampons, Kasey – whole meals like pasta, spaghetti, and parmesan cheese, Daisy – honey, Susan – summer sausage, Ixi – Hormel Compleats meals…


We talked about how fun it is to meet guests, and how it is much more WORK than it appears from the outside.


And we laughed about our ongoing joke – A CAN OF CARROTS.


Usually when I talk with people about the pantry, they ask what things are popular with guests.  But it is rare for someone to ask, “What doesn’t get taken??”.  But when you work on the crew, you learn pretty quickly what the least favorite items are, and one of those is for sure cans of carrots.


We joke that we can put a can of carrots in and it will still be there 3 days later.  The shelves may have emptied and been refilled time and time again, but the CAN OF CARROTS remains!!  Canned carrots just don’t go over that well.  To celebrate this fun fact, each Summer Pantry Crew member received a colorful shirt with the Kindness Activist logo on the front, and the phrase, “I survived the Summer Pantry Crew…  And so did a can of carrots.”  The shirts were a big hit!  (And I later learned that a young Summer Pantry Crew member even experimented with the positioning of the canned carrots on the shelves to see if that made a difference!  Apparently, it did not…)

Ixi and Kasey modeling their new shirts

The other item that sometimes stays in the pantry for a long time is boxed stuffing/dressing.  To make stuffing, you need to have an oven (and to make it tasty, you need other ingredients).  Also, I think not all cultures have stuffing as a “thing”, so it is just not a big hit in the pantry. 


Of course, being on pantry duty also shows you what the most popular items are!  Some of those are:  drinks of any kind, fruit cups, cans of fruit, cans of hearty soup, Compleats meals, microwave popcorn, ramen, Maseca, pasta, and pasta sauce.  Oh, and toiletries of any kind!!  Pantry guests cannot use SNAP benefits to buy toiletries, so shampoo, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, toothpaste, lotion, shaving cream…  We hand out a lot of toiletries.

What's YOUR favorite thing to put in the pantry?  Some of the Summer Crew!


The Summer Pantry crew was a great reminder for me of how it really does take a village.  Without their support, we would not be able to get away to recharge.  I am so grateful for their hard work and commitment.

Summer Pantry Crew (missing Christy, plus Susan and David)


The Pantry Crew is full at the moment, but we do often need volunteers for other things.  If you would like to add your name to our volunteer list, please send you name, email address, and cell phone number to:  kindnessactivist@gmail.com .  We will add you to our database.  Also, we often ask for volunteers on our Facebook page (Kindness Activist), so give us a follow there.


If you would like to donate to the Little Yellow Free Pantry, the most needed items as of September 22, 2026 are:

·      Bars of soap (we are almost out)

·      Single serving cups of instant mashed potatoes

·      Bags/boxes of instant mashed potatoes

·      Heat and eat Indian meals (we are out)

·      Microwave popcorn (we are low)

·      Canned fruit of any kind (always needed, hard to keep in stock)

·      Ketchup and/or mustard

·      Cans of corn

·      Evaporated milk


You can see our Amazon wishlist here (please focus on items marked “most needed” – we try to keep that up to date): 

Little Yellow Free Pantry Wish List 

And, as always, if you would like to donate to Kindness Activist to help keep our mission of spreading kindness going, we would appreciate it.  Donations are tax deductible.  Donations accepted via:

 

Venmo (KindnessActivist)


 

PayPal (KindnessActivist)



 

Credit Card:

 Donate via credit card

No comments:

Post a Comment